Sixth Annual Conference for Assistant Principals and Aspiring School Leaders –
Presented by the College of Education and Education and Community Leadership Program at
Texas State University – San Marcos.
The Center hosted two sessions at the conference, with a total of 34 educators from local schools attending those two sessions. The teachers, school leaders, and graduate students came to hear from the Center Director, Duncan Waite, and several invited guests who shared their work bridging communities in Texas and North Carolina with their local schools, working toward social change within local contexts.
The invited presenters included:
- Steven Brooks, Director of Spartan Alliance for Youth at South Caldwell High School in Hudson, North Carolina and Steve Rich, the school’s Community Resource Officer.
- Miguel Guajardo, Assistant Professor of Educational and Community Leadership at Texas State University and co-founder of the Llano Grade Center for Research and Development Edcouch, Texas.
- Jane Madrigal, Community artist/ muralist, San Antonio, Texas.
- Juan Orozco, Technologist, Austin Independent School District.
- Larry Whitfield, San Antonio Junior Golf Foundation.
Besides lively reports of the work each of these social agents is involved with, an announcement of a grant award competition was made during these sessions. The small seed grants are being offered by The Center. Information about the grant is available on this site (link to proposal below), or by contacting the Center staff.